Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 27

Today was a good day in the garden.  This morning I had a complaint about the smell the new compost pile is making, and it was a timely complaint as I was just thinking about adding a layer of carbon to the pile.  With a truck from maintenance, I took some shredded oak leaves from a leaf pile, and brought it down to the garden  to spread out over two and a half weeks of compost from the dining hall.  Then I added a layer of finished compost, and I am ready for more food scraps.  Plus the smell is practically gone (though I didn't think it smelled very strongly in the first place). 

I planted some of my last seeds in the SE section of the garden, and I am nearing the very end of planting time.  Amazingly, I have been working in the garden for almost a month now!  Later this week I am excited to harvest the first veggies out of the garden, including an assortment of greens, pac choi, and some radishes.  I talked with Laurie from the kitchen and they are very excited to start having food available from the garden.  Yah!   

No comments:

Post a Comment